We all are prone to falling sick, right? And probably the first thing we do when illness strikes in is either pop a pill or quickly visit a doctor and take an antibiotic rich prescription from them. While these seem to be the easiest options to recover, and undoubtedly they are fast, yet they cause more long term harm than you could ever imagine.
Why do we need natural antibiotics?
Synthetic antibiotics are the most commonly prescribed medications these days. In fact, it is believed that antibiotics are often being overprescribed by doctors for mild health conditions like bronchitis, flu or sore throats. These conditions are usually a result of viral or fungal infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. And not to forget the price you pay for it is insane. Not only are they expensive, but they cost you, your health too. An antibiotic effects your body in more than one ways. This is how:
a) Welcome side effects: They are strong and the medication that usually lasts for five days can cause gastrointestinal distress and allergies. If you consume antibiotics every time you fall sick, they might even be harming your kidney by increasing the level of toxicity in the body.
b) Bid adieu to good bacteria: Yes, antibiotics are responsible for killing bacteria. But of all kinds. Studies have shown that consumption of antibiotics leads to the killing of all the types of bacteria — the good bacteria that you definitely need and the bad bacteria that causes infection. This can imbalance the gut, can impact your overall health and interferes with your immune system, lowering your body immunity making you susceptible to more viral infections.
c) Bacteria evolves and drugs fail: Yes! All living organisms evolve and so does bacteria. These pharmaceutical drugs have been prescribed by doctors across the world for decades now. The bacteria that causes infection has evolved and mutated itself in liaison with these drugs and has developed resistance against the same. According to research and studies conducted by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year about two million Americans are infected with drug resistant bacteria and over 23,000 such people die because of these infections.
d) Increases fatigue: Chances are we all have consumed antibiotic at least once in our lives. Every time you pop one of these heavy dosage drugs, the next thing you want is to sleep or rest.
So, what do we do if we live in a world full of infections and the only thing that we believe could aid us were these synthetic antibiotics? Well, the answer is resolve to nature and pop in a few natural antibiotics the next time you fall sick.
What are natural antibiotics and how do we know they even work?
Natural antibiotics are natural ingredients. These ingredients have been used for over thousands of years across the world in food or for treating a variety of diseases. In fact, in the recent times, clinical researches are being conducted to discover the abilities of these powerful herbs and food ingredients. Whether you want to treat your strep throat infection or are looking for relief from cough and cold, these natural antibiotics is what you should resort to.
And yes, the natural antibiotics are absolutely safe with no side effects at all. Unani medicines or the rich Ayurvedas cite many instances and examples of how these ingredients are used to cure the diseases. Also, unlike synthetic antibiotics, the natural antibiotics can fight the viral and fungal infections too.
7 Best Natural Antibiotics
Before we begin with the list of the most effective natural antibiotics, here is something you should know.
a) These antibiotics are available to you right in your kitchen.
b) These natural antibiotics can be used alongside with the synthetic antibiotics prescribed by your doctor, especially for serious infections like tuberculosis, typhoid or more.
c) Natural antibiotics can be consumed even while you are not sick. Your immune system takes a while to develop. Consumption of the natural antibiotics can help it prepare and build well in advance to fight any infection that comes your way.
So, here’s the list of best natural antibiotics that have been hiding in your kitchen for ages now.
This bright yellow spice is so much more than just a food ingredient. It is amongst the most researched plants by scientists and has been published across biomedical studies for its medicinal properties. Moreover, it has proven to be as effective as popular anti-inflammatory drugs like naproxen, ibuprofen, aspirin, sulindac, indomethacin, celecoxib, tamoxifen, phenylbutazone, diclofenac and dexamethasone.
Clinical studies show that turmeric is extremely effective against bacteria like e.coli, pseudomonas aeruginosa, staphylococcus aureus, and more.
Super power: Turmeric possesses an anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, potent astringent properties. This is an ideal spice that literally, is best for every single disease.
Whether you get injured in an accident, to fighting flu, cold and cough, to making your skin glow and killing those unwanted acne causing bacteria, turmeric is the answer to all your concerns.
How to use turmeric?
- Immunity Booster: Turmeric can be ingested. There are absolutely no side effects. Turmeric is available in two forms – the dried yellow powder or the turmeric root. Both can be consumed. Add this spice on a daily basis by to your soup, veggies, rice, potatoes, or juices.
- Skin infections: Turmeric can be topically applied by mixing it with water, curd, milk, honey or an essential oil. Just make a paste and apply it on the affected area. Leave overnight for better results and repeat the steps two to three times a day. Expect a yellowish tone to your skin post the application of turmeric. This can be washed off and is usually a result of excessive use.
- Cold, Cough & Flu: Add turmeric to a glass of warm milk and gulp it down your throat. If the milk tastes bland, pour in some honey for a sweet flavor. This herbal concoction will kill the virus and strengthen the immune system to produce more white blood cells to fight the infection. Drink the mixture at least thrice a day.
Did you know this natural sweetener is blessed with antibiotic properties? And guess what, it even works against multi-drug resistant pathogens. Yes, this natural antibiotic is truly magical. A variety of honey is available in the market and all are extremely effective in fighting the bacteria. But as per studies, scientists have discovered that Manuka honey made by bees pollinating over manuka tree in New Zealand is the strongest. This is so because of the presence of a special compound called methylglyoxal.
Super power: Honey works wonders on your skin and hair. It is best for application on cuts, scrapes, and wounds. It helps in fighting bacterial infections and cleanses the respiratory pathways keeping the diseases at bay. It can be used topically on the skin treat burns as well.
How to use honey?
- You can consume a tablespoon or two of honey every day to boost your immunity.
- Apply honey topically on your skin to fight acne and blemishes. Repeat this at least two to three times a day to see visible results.
- Replace sugar with honey. Mix honey in your beverages like green tea, turmeric milk, regular milk and more.
Note: Manuka honey is not recommended for infants.
3. Oregano Oil
Possibly, one of the most potent natural antibiotics is the Oregano. It is the source to Thymol – one of the most powerful phenol components known to destroy microbes. A recent study shows that oil of oregano is actually better than 18 synthetic antibiotics used in the treatment of MRSA (an infection caused by a bacteria that has become resistant to major antibiotics and drugs) infections.
Moreover, this powerful natural alternative is being used in poultry farms too and is reducing the use of synthetic antibiotics amongst animals.
Super power: Thymol – the microbe killing compound. Oregano oil is ideal for strep or sore throats. It can be used for respiratory infections as well.
How to use oregano oil?
- Always buy oregano oil that has at least 70% carvacrol concentration and is derived from Origanum Vulgare. That’s the strongest and the most effective oil.
- Oregano oil can be topically applied on the skin to remove skin tags and to kill acne causing bacteria.
- It can be ingested by diluting five to eight drops of oregano oil in water. This mixture can be ingested two to three times a day.
- You could inhale the fumes of the oil by placing it in a diffuser to aid relief in sinus and other respiratory problems
- Pour in a few drops of oregano essential oil in a bucket half-filled with water and dip your feet into it. The oil will kill the fungi on feet and the nails causing any form of skin infection. Repeat this process daily for a quick relief.
Ginger is another natural antibiotic that possesses wondrous qualities. It is blessed with gingerol compounds that are extremely effective against a number of pathogens. Studies have shown that ginger can reduce inflammation in the brain, kill cancerous cells, cure gut problems, and aid in acid reflux. If this culinary marvel has been hiding in your kitchen, then now is the time to put it to some good use.
You can read more about ginger and its benefits here.
Super power: Ginger is a super food for those suffering from upper respiratory infections. It works effectively on people suffering from nausea, gut infections and can cure heartburns .
How to use ginger?
- Ginger oil can be topically applied on joints by patients suffering from arthritis.
- Ginger can quickly relieve you from cold and cough. All you need to do is prepare ginger tea at least thrice a day and drink it while it is still hot.
- Add ginger to your food, soups and juices.
- You can mix the dried ginger powder in a glass of water and drink this mixture too. However, let us warn you, it will have a potent smell and a spicy taste.
5. Coconut and its oil
Fact: People who eat a lot of coconut are amongst the healthiest people on earth. Strange, but true! Coconut contains large quantities of a medium chain triglyceride – lauric acid. This acid breaks into a monoglyceride that has abundant antibacterial properties and can easily kill pathogens like bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Moreover, coconut has shown effective results against Staphylococcus Aureus (MCRA bacterium) and Candida Albicans, a yeast infection causing fungi.
Super power: Oh, so many! It fights all sorts of microbial infections, improves the quality of skin, aids in metabolism and weight loss, balances electrolytes in the body, is rich in Vitamin A and thus, is good for eyes and the list goes on and on and on.
How to use coconut and coconut oil?
- To reap the best benefits out of coconut oil, use extra virgin, unprocessed coconut oil. It can be ingested with water, or directly. You can use it to prepare your meals, add it to your soup, rice or curries.
- To works wonders on burned skin and can aid in quick recovery. All you need to do is apply it topically on the affected area several times a day.
- Eating raw coconut has similar benefits too. Alternatively, you could consume fresh coconut water to stay healthy and hydrated.
- The oil is ideal for usage on dry, patchy skin and can be applied on wounds, cuts, and scrapes.
Ever heard of penicillin – the first antibiotic discovered by Alexander Fleming? This was discovered in 1920’s and ever since its discovery the antibiotics have received their fame. But, the problem is this is a synthetic drug. There’s good new too. Raw garlic contains a similar compound to penicillin called allicin.
This superfood possesses antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal, antioxidant, antiparasitic and anti-inflammatory properties. Moreover, it contains a host of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. All you need to do is add this wondrous spice to your food, every day!
Super power: Super rich in nutrients and possesses potent properties against all types of microbes.
How to use garlic?
- Chew it. But, not just before your date. Garlic has a potent aroma and most people can’t stand it.
- Crush it and add it to your meals. It can add both flavor as well as a strong aroma to any meal and does taste delicious (sometimes).
- Buy a capsule and consume that if you can’t stand the taste.
- Mix garlic cloves in olive oil and apply on joints to treat arthritis pain.
- Add 2 to 3 garlic cloves to olive oil and heat the mixture. Let it cool. Pour a drop every hour in your ear to treat ear infections.
Possibly the most unexpected ingredient on the list of natural antibiotics is cabbage. While we all consume cabbage in various forms throughout the day, but you surely didn’t know it could be a strong natural antibiotic that flushes those microbes right out of your body.
These antibiotic properties of cabbage improve when it is fermented. Now have you a reason to prepare sauerkraut and eat it every day.
Super power: This superfood treats H. Pylori bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. This veggie can also be beneficial to help you prevent jaundice and bladder infections.
How to use Cabbage?
- Add cabbage to your sandwich, to your salad, your soup or your juice. It is healthy and tasty.
- Ferment it. Prepare a sauerkraut and consume it daily. It is delicious, super easy to prepare and extremely healthy.
Hippocrates, a greek physician, once said, “let your food be your medicine” and this is what a majority of holistic healers around the world believe. Do we all not know that we are a result of what we eat? On this note, we urge you to spread the word about healthy living amongst your friends and family.
Hope you liked what you just read. Do share your hidden natural alternatives with us in the comments section below.