We try, with all our might, to hide those lines – the stretch marks on our bodies. There are over 80% of Americans suffering from the issue with the majority being women. It may feel great to boast a flawless body, but hey, what are we talking about? Ideal and flawless bodies exist only in the photoshopped world. The real world demands us to accept our flaws — those beautiful gorgeous lines.
However, what if I told you that there are ways to reduce and heal those marks on your body and get rid of them forever? To take it a step further, what if I told you that the solution was all-natural and great for more than just your skin? Believe it or not, people from all over the world have been using essential oils for stretch marks for years. If you don’t believe me, well then, try it for yourself!
Why do you get stretch marks?
Stretch marks are caused due to the extreme tension that the skin experiences. They could appear during pregnancy when the growing embryo exerts pressure on the entire abdominal area or one could suffer from stretch marks upon losing or gaining weight drastically. Typically, these marks are pink, purple or yellowish-white in color and appear on the stomach, near the shoulders, upper arms, below the breasts, on the buttocks and over the thighs.
If medicines don’t seem to work, how can a bunch of essential oils reduce stretch marks?
While your concerns may seem justified at first, don’t forget that medicines are made up of chemicals that have been found in nature and are proven to be useful for well-being. Essential oils are natural extracts from plants that carry strong and potent regenerative and healing properties. With the rise of aromatherapy, these oils have become popular as natural and ayurvedic healers.
Without further ado, let me introduce you to the 11 best essential oils for stretch marks that are known to carry regenerative properties and can significantly improve the appearance of stretch marks:
1. Sage Oil
Sage oil is extracted from an evergreen perennial plant. The oil is known to stimulate blood flow. Most importantly, this oil is considered absolutely safe for both the mother and the child during pregnancy—the main cause behind stretch marks on a woman’s body.
Note: Sage oil might intensify acne. Use it carefully on your skin in limited quantity.
2. Lavender Oil
Another beneficial essential oil for stretch marks is that of the evergreen lavender plant. The toning and rejuvenating properties of this essential oil make it ideal for annoying stretch marks. It also does wonders for the nervous system by relieving stress and enhancing blood circulation. Plus, lavender oil is great for getting a good night sleep. So while it is a great essential oil for stretch marks, you can also reap a whole host of other benefits along the way.
3. Helichrysum Oil
This essential oil for stretch marks, that smells like honey, is derived from the silver-green leaves of an evergreen plant. Helichrysum oil is loaded with therapeutic benefits that include antispasmodic, diuretic, astringent, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. This oil helps in recovering the skin by improving blood circulation in the affected area.
4. Rosehip Oil
Probably one of the mildest essential oils, rosehip is known in the cosmetic industry for its anti-aging properties. Extracted from the fruit of the thorny rose plant, this oil contains Vitamin Retin A – an ingredient that works wonders on the stretch marks. You can also use rosehip oil for burns, scars, and wrinkles. Solve several skin problems at once with this versatile oil!
5. Patchouli Oil
Notably, one of the best essential oils for stretch marks – Patchouli oil proves to be an amazing treatment for stretch marks and prevents ugly scars. With its tissue regenerating properties, the oil stimulates skin cell growth at a fast pace. It also works as a great skin moisturizer.
6. Neroli Oil
Another oil that is highly recommended for stretch marks removal is the Neroli oil. Having been extracted from the orange flower, the oil carries a strong and pleasing aroma. It is used to prevent the increase of stretch marks. Because of its revitalizing skin properties, the oil also helps in toning of the sagging skin.
7. Pure Emu Oil
One of the least-known essential oils for stretch marks is emu oil. Emu oil in its pure form also reduces the appearance of stretch marks. Of the various skin regenerating properties that the oil possesses, its constituents oleic and linoleic acid positive results in getting rid of stretch marks. In addition, you can use emu oil for other skin conditions like acne, age spots, calluses, and eczema.
8. Castor Oil
Number 8 on our list of best essential oils for stretch marks is the most reliable natural remedy as per homeopathy and ayurveda, the Castor essential oil. This herbal remedy is also renowned for its anti-aging and anti-microbial properties. These properties prevent the skin from acne & blemishes, sagging, wrinkles and fine lines.
9. Grape Seed Oil
Amongst the best oils that heal the stretch marks naturally is another notable essential oil, the grapeseed oil. The oil heals the affected area and promotes regeneration of the skin cells reducing the appearance of the stretch marks.
10. Cocoa Butter
Purest form of cocoa butter when applied with pure Vitamin E on the scarred area can deliver excellent results in stopping the increase of stretch marks.
11. Coconut Oil Cream
This carrier oil holds tremendous benefits and when it is blended with other oils, the effect on the scars show excellent results. Plus, you’ll have the added benefit of smelling delightful as you fight those stretch marks.
9 natural remedies to cure stretch marks using essential oils:
Some of the oils listed above are carrier oils rather than essential oils. This means that they are suited for diluting the potency of essential oils for stretch marks. This does not mean that they don’t have beneficial properties on their own, but to get the best results, be sure to mix a carrier oil with a few drops of your preferred essential oil for an unparalleled scent and wondrous healing properties.
1) How to use sage essential oils for stretch marks: Splash a few drops of sage essential oil in your bath water. Post pregnancy, massage your stretch marks with this oil. Remember to first dilute the oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or almond.
2) One could use products containing lavender oil such as creams and massage oils from bio-oil on the affected area. Purchase bio-oil from either amazon.com or walmart.com.
3) Lavender and almond oil: Mix 5 to 10 drops of lavender essential oil with 2 to 3 drops of almond oil in olive oil and massage it over the stretch marks.
4) Lavender oil, sandalwood oil, and frankincense oil recipe: Take 3 to 5 drops of all these essential oils and mix them together. To this concoction, add about 6 to 7 teaspoons of sesame oil and blend well. Store this mixture in a glass container. Use it twice a day on a regular basis.
5) How to use lavender and frankincense essential oil for stretch marks: This mixture can be used to prevent the stretch marks as well as to treat them. To prepare the blend, take about equal amounts of both the oils and mix them with coconut oil. Apply this mixture to the lower abdomen.
6) How to use rosehip essential oil for stretch marks: Rosehip oil is gentle on the skin and can be applied in lusciously over the marks. However, it is always safer to use scented oils in limited quantity, especially when pregnant.
7) How to use castor oil to get rid of stretch marks: Mix 3 to 4 drops of castor oil in 6 to 8 drops of almond oil (in 1:2 ratio) and massage this mixture on the affected area. The blend can be applied 2-3 times per day for a period of 3 to 4 weeks (or as recommended by the doctor) for visible results.
8) How to use grapeseed oil to get rid of stretch marks: Mix 3 drops of grapeseed oil, 3 drops of lavender oil in coconut oil and apply this mixture over the stretch marks daily. Apply the blend 2 to 3 times daily for 2 weeks.
9) How to use coconut oil for removing stretch marks: Take pure coconut oil and blend it in a mixer for 5 minutes until it turns creamy with a thick consistency. Alternatively, one can also add shea butter or beeswax to the blend and reduce the quantity of coconut oil. Now, add almond oil, frankincense oil, and grapeseed oil to the blend. Store this mixture in a glass container only, away from direct sunlight.
The beauty of Ayurveda claims that anything can be healed naturally. Dwell into the world of these healing natural remedies and try these wonderful lotions on your skin to cleanse away those marks permanently. If you have any more ideas for essential oils for stretch marks, feel free to leave them in the comment section below.
As always, if you liked what you read, be sure to share it with your friends or anyone else that you think might need this information!
Leave a Reply