From the secrets of Ayurveda, here’s the most used herbal rasayana (medicine) – a thousand year old formula that can do wonders to your health, skin and hair, and can make you feel energetic and young again! The magical formula of Triphala. This herbal concoction boasts of a unique ability that gently cleanses & detoxifies the system, replenishing & nourishing it simultaneously.
What is Triphala?
As the name says, Triphala is a traditional ayurvedic formulation made up of three(tri) fruits(phala) native to the Indian subcontinent that are mixed in equal parts. Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry), Bibhitaki (Beleric or Bastard Myrobalan) and Haritaki (Chebulic Myrobalan) constitute this herbal formulation. Triphala is a remedy that can help cure the doshas in your body.
What are the Doshas?
According to Ayurveda, all the physiological and mental activities in a body are governed by energies. These biological energies — namely, Vata, Kapha and Pitta that circulate in the body and are known to influence everyone physically, emotionally and mentally. When either of these energies become imbalanced and start affecting the personal well being of a person, doshas are activated.
Vata: Vata is a combination of energy from air and space. This energy is known to govern the activities of a nervous system and movement in the body. It is also essential for removal of toxins.
Kapha: The primary function of this energy is protection. Kapha governs the strong build, stamina, muscles and fat in a body.
Pitta: A mixture of water and fire, this energy governs the transformation and metabolism in the body. Pitta is known to monitor the digestive fire of the body.
What is so special about the ingredients used in Triphala?
Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry): This herbal treasure forms an essential part of many Ayurvedic formulations. Amalaki, popularly known as Amla or Indian Gooseberry plays a vital role in managing the pitta.
This berry is has a cooling effect and manages the digestive fires in the body, supports the natural functions of the immune system and the liver, lowers cholesterol and is extremely rich in vitamin C.
Bibhitaki (Beleric or Bastard Myrobalan): Bibhitaki or the fruit that keeps you away from disease is a detoxifying and rejuvenating herb. It purifies the blood and detoxifies muscles and fatty tissues of the body. This herb is known to support the Kapha energy in a body.
Haritaki (Chebulic Myrobalan): King of medicine — Haritaki is a fruit that heals you from within with positive effects on the brain and heart. It is revered for its scraping effects and helps in maintaining weight. The fruit has anti-inflammatory properties and calms the Vata.
Health Benefits of Triphala:
From the many triphala benefits that this prized ayurvedic formula provides, below is a list of 10 best advantages of including the ayurvedic medicine of Triphala to your daily routine:
- Internal cleansing of the body: Triphala acts as a natural antioxidant and cleanses the entire system of harmful substances produced in the body. This herbal formula nourishes tissues and supports in the absorption of necessary elements and minerals.
- Lowers bad cholesterol level in the body: The right mix of these three naturally healing fruits can do wonders to your low density lipoprotein or LDL Cholesterol level. The mixture helps in the breakdown of fatty acids that are harmful and lead to the formation of bad cholesterol, thus, controlling your LDL and triglyceride levels in the body and decreasing the risk of artery blockage.
- Strengthens immune system: With a high percentage of antioxidants in Triphala, the herbal mixture is revered for boosting immunity. It also helps in maintaining the right balance of white blood cells that are responsible for killing unwanted infection-causing-microbes and pathogens in our body.
- Balances physiological functions: Triphala aids the endocrine system (a system that consists of glands that produce hormones) in producing necessary hormones that regulate sexual and reproductive functions, growth & tissue development, metabolism, sleep among other functions in the body.
- Regulates bowel movements: Traditionally used as a bowel tonic, Triphala has been widely prescribed as a mild laxative. This magical formula can help cleanse the intestines internally and loosens the stool to relieve you from constipation and piles.
- Healthy urinary and reproductive system: Thanks to the antimicrobial properties, Triphala aids in maintaining a healthy urinary and reproductive system. It helps in flushing out the uric acid, which can lead to excess inflammation in the body.
- Blood purification: Deep tissues in the body release toxins that enter the bloodstream. These toxins can cause gas and acidity, headache, a rash, upset stomach, and diarrhea or nausea. The antioxidative properties of Triphala help in removal of such toxins, ensure a healthy blood density and regulate the blood pressure in the body. It also improves blood circulation. Moreover, the cleansing properties keep a check on the deposition of cholesterol in the arteries, thus, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases that are on a continuous rise.
- Keeps harmful diseases such as Cancer, Diabetes, Asthma away: Triphala, for the last thousands of years, has ameliorated the immune system. The formula has exhibited properties that eliminate free radical production in the body, hence, reducing the risk of cancer. Moreover, herbs found in this ayurvedic rasayan (medicine) are known to improve respiratory tract infections, reduce the formation of mucus and cure asthma. Also, Triphala is known to reduce the insulin resistance, thus, easing out the condition of diabetes in individuals. It also maintains the glucose levels in the body.
- Takes care of the vision: Triphala has been found to cure a number of eye disorders like progressive myopia, glaucoma, conjunctivitis, and cataract. It is also helpful in improving the overall health of the eye.
- Helps in weight loss: Enzymes in Triphala have been found to bond with cholecystokinin, a hormone that is responsible for satiety. This process signals the body that the digestive system is full and decreases hunger pangs ensuring, you avoid overeating, thus, reducing the risk to obesity. Moreover, consumption of triphala benefits in regulating the functions of liver and pancreas. It stimulates these organs to produce bile and help in metabolizing stored fats and reducing weight. This keeps the body properly nourished and energised.
- Aids the digestive system: Not only does this formula aid the process of digestion, it also ensures that your body, particularly the colon absorbs maximum nutrients from your diet, before passing out the excreta. This perhaps is amongst the most noteworthy uses of Triphala. The herbs in this mixture help to eliminate the toxin residue in the digestive tract. This in turn also helps the body to get rid of bowel diseases. Another added benefit of Triphala is that it helps in reducing acidity, gastric and digestive issues.
Benefits of Triphala for Skin and Hair:
- Reduces bacterial skin infections: Being rich in antibacterial properties, Triphala helps us stay away from pimples, acne and breakouts. Also, this leaves the skin soft and supple. The detoxifying, cleansing and nourishing properties of Triphala leave the skin glowing and blemish free.
- Glowing skin: Another noteworthy beauty benefit of using Triphala is the elimination of dead cells from the top most layer of the skin. This ensures a better blood circulation in the body and leaves the skin glowing.
- Delays aging and keeps wrinkles away: Antioxidants in the powder protect our body and skin from oxidative stress. This results in a firm and toned skin and keeps aging at bay.
- Keeps the skin hydrated: The herbs present in the concoction prevent dryness and chapping by keeping the skin moist and hydrated.
- Provides nutrients to hair roots: By helping in better absorption of minerals and vitamins from the diet, Triphala aids hair roots with sufficient nutrients to keep the tresses strong.
- A healthy scalp: This ayurvedic medicine keeps excess oils, dead cells and fungal infections at bay, maintaining a clean and healthy scalp.
- Takes care of premature graying of hair: With sufficient amount of Amalaki or amla in Triphala, the herbal preparation helps in overcoming premature graying of hair.
- Fights hair thinning, hair loss and baldness: With essential nutrients reaching your scalp, toxins being flushed out of the body and the emollients properties strengthening the roots, Triphala can help you fight the problems of hair fall, hair thinning and thus, avoid baldness. One can use the mask of aloe vera gel and Triphala on the scalp for strong and gorgeous tresses. Mix two teaspoons of aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of Triphala powder, and apply it to the scalp for an hour. Wash it with water. Repeat this process once every week for best results.
How should I consume Triphala?
Triphala can be taken in various forms. One can consume triphala tea, or take triphala churna twice a day with hot water. For those, who do not like the taste and pungent smell of the churna (powder), can consume triphala capsules.
Triphala Tea: To consume triphala tea, make a decoction by adding half a teaspoon of the churna to a hot cup of water. Stir well and let the ingredients of the mixture settle down. Allow the tea to cool before you consume it. You can add a tablespoon of honey for great taste.
Triphala Churna: It is advised that triphala churna must be consumed twice a day – once early in the morning, and once an hour before you sleep.
Triphala Capsules: One can take two triphala capsules (100 mg) one hour prior to breakfast and dinner.
Best time to take Triphala: This herbal concoction is usually taken empty stomach, an hour before you plan to sleep. One can also take it early in the morning two hours prior to the breakfast.
Note: It is highly recommended that you don’t eat anything right after consuming triphala because the formulation is known to work on balancing the digestive system. Triphala is a long term medical formula and can be consumed for over a period of 6 – 7 months.
How does Triphala taste?
Triphala powder or triphala churna is known to have five tastes – pungent, sour, sweet, astringent and bitter (only one taste is missing – salty). Usually, people experience different tastes each time they take triphala. These different tastes signify the taste missing from your diet.
Note: It is very rare that triphala tastes sweet. But, if in case it does, that signifies it is time to stop consuming triphala.
From where can I buy Triphala products?
Thanks to the expanding reach of Ayurveda across the entire world, one can easily buy rare products online. And yes, they are available in the states too. If you’re interested in trying this magical herbal formula, you can buy Triphala products at the any of the online stores:
Are there any side effects of Triphala?
Triphala being a natural healer does not have extreme side effects. However, common side effects of the herbal formula include loose stools and stomach cramps. This is primarily the beginning of the cleansing process of the digestive and urinary system. In case, these cramps and loose stools continue, it is advised to discontinue the intake of Triphala post which the system should return to normal in a day or two.
Have you tasted this herbal concoction before? Has it done wonders to your health, mind, body, and soul? Share your experience with us. We and our readers are curious to find out the results!