Winter is coming. And if you haven’t realized it yet, but with the change of season, you might soon be suffering from chest congestion again this year if you don’t take the right precautions. To be sure, no one enjoys coughing throughout the night, having a runny nose, and dealing with the annoying chest congestion. To get rid of coughs, colds, and congestion, let me take you through a few natural remedies that can clear your airways and cure the problem. Like with many mild health issues, there are a plethora of essential oils for chest congestion.
Why do we suffer from chest congestion?
The most common cause of chest congestion and sinusitis is the flu virus. Lung congestion is usually unpleasant and uncomfortable. The infections worsen when viral infections are couples with bacterial infections. This starts irritating the inner, delicate lining of the respiratory tract, producing a lot of mucus. This mucus is responsible for washing the infection away. If this congestion is not cleared up in the early stages, it can lead to hazardous health issues like pneumonia or bronchitis.
Another common reason for chest congestion is the onset of asthma symptoms. Asthma is a respiratory disorder that results from inflammation of the airways and the production of excess mucus. This can make it difficult to breathe and cause moderate to severe chest congestion. This can be easily aggravated by pollen, pet dander, smoke, exercise, and sicknesses like the common cold.
The below-mentioned remedies will help you learn how to clear cold, cough and chest congestion using essential oils.
Essential Oils for Chest Congestion
1. Eucalyptus Oil: One of the best essential oils to eliminate chest congestion and cold is the eucalyptus oil. The natural extracts of the eucalyptus plant are known to carry enzymes that loosen the mucus in lungs and reduce inflammation in the respiratory tracts. Moreover, studies have shown that diluting 2 drops of eucalyptus oil with water in a diffuser can kill 70% of the staphylococcus bacteria. You can buy a good quality diffuser at a store or online like this.
2. Lavender Oil, Cajeput Oil & Rosemary Oil: These oils help in relieving respiratory tract disorders such as sinusitis, bronchitis, asthma, and coughing. You can put a few drops of these essential oils for chest congestion into a diffuser or you can heat a bowl of water to a steaming point and add the drops to experience the benefits. Alternatively, you can dilute these oils with carrier oils and rub the mixture onto your chest neck or back.
3. Thyme Oil: This essential oil is known to carry antibacterial, antiseptic and expectorant properties. These qualities in the oil help the body fight against cold, cough and chest congestion. Moreover, due to its expectorant properties, Thyme oil is beneficial in removal of excess mucus, which is especially helpful if you have asthma. Overall, Thyme is one of the better essential oils for chest congestion and coughs.
4. Cyprus Oil: Another beneficial essential oil for chest congestion is Cyprus. This oil prevents the accumulation of fluids in the lungs and helps in drying up a persistently running nose. Be sure to add this oil to your diffuser to start feeling the effects immediately.
5. Sandalwood Oil: This exotic oil proves to be an effective treatment against viral and bacterial infections in the upper respiratory system.
6. Pine Oil & Angelica Oil: Pine & Angelica essential oils work against cold and cough. The oils are rich in expectorant properties and help the body in getting rid of phlegm and mucus from the inner linings of the respiratory tracts.
7. Anise Oil and Peppermint Oil: Both these oils are beneficial in the treatment of coughs. These oils help reduce coughing by suppressing the brain’s reflex to coughs through their antispasmodic properties. Breathing in the fumes of peppermint oil can help soothe your throat and reduce mucus.
8. Black Pepper Oil and Frankincense Oil: Both these oils clear the lungs and the respiratory passages, thus, regulating the breathing. Put these essential oils for chest congestion in your diffuser to start breathing easily almost immediately.
9. Tea Tree Oil: The antimicrobial and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil help in treating the underlying bacterial infections and clear the congestion in the bronchi, making it a great essential oil for chest congestion. You can dilute this oil in a carrier oil and rub the mixture on your sinuses or neck for relief.
10. Lemon Citrus Oil: The main use of lemon citrus oil is to cure sore throat infections, thereby eliminating the main cause of congestion and common cold from the body. Use this oil in your diffuser and breath in the vapors to experience the antibacterial benefits of this essential oil for chest congestion immediately.
11. Rose Oil: From the many benefits that the aromatic essential oil of rose, this one property is probably amongst its unknown features. Rose oil has a soothing effect on the body, healing respiratory problems such as asthma, allergies, and cough, making it a versatile essential oil for chest congestion.
Note: There are two main ways of reaping the benefits of these essential oils for chest congestion: topical application and aromatherapy. While the pure, undiluted oil can be added to a diffuser or steam bowl for aromatherapy, you must always remember to dilute essential oils with carrier oils like coconut or jojoba oil before applying them directly to your skin. Skipping this step could result in serious skin irritation.
It is also a good idea to do a patch test on your arm before applying essential oils to more sensitive areas to be sure that you are not allergic.
Other precautions you must take to cure cold, cough and chest congestion:
a) Always stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of lukewarm water will help in removal of mucus from the respiratory tracts. Stay away from alcoholic or caffeinated drinks to avoid dehydration.
b) Use a humidifier or a cool mist vaporizer. This will prevent mucus from drying up and thus, lead to a fast recovery.
c) Take a hot water shower or a steam bath. Steam helps in moisturizing the airways and loosens dried mucus in the inner linings.
d) Inhale essential oils using a diffuser. The essential oil molecules present in the air not only help clear the respiratory tracts, but they also help in purifying the surrounding air.
e) Use lozenges to cure a cough. One can choose from the various flavors available. However, essential oil based lozenges are the most effective ones.
f) Use oil based balm for a quick relief from blocked nose. Mix 5 drops of lavender oil, 2-3 drops of thyme oil and 7-8 drops of eucalyptus oil with unrefined and organic coconut oil. Apply this balm at night before going to bed. The oils will help clear congestion, the blocked nose, and cough. You can add a few drops of peppermint oil to the mixture too.
g) Massage the oils on your chest and your back to relieve the congestion. Mix a drop of pine oil, 3 drops of thyme oil, 2 drops of almond oil and 5 drops of eucalyptus oil in a teaspoon of jojoba oil. Rub this mixture on your chest and on the back.
h) Another quick way to relieve chest congestion is to treat the sore throat first. Gargle with a glass of lukewarm water and salt at least 4 times a day for a quick relief.
i) Pour a few drops of thyme, eucalyptus and lavender oil on tissue papers and carry them wherever you go to clear the nasal tracts and blocked nose.
Note: Essential oils can help cure the nasal infections in the early stages. If your cough, cold and other flu symptoms persist for more than 3 days, seeking medical help can be beneficial.
Was the information in the article helpful? If yes, then please share it with someone who suffers from chest congestion, cold and cough often.
Suggested Read: 8 Best Natural Remedies That Are Known To Cure Strep Throat